The benefits of installing an intruder alarm
If you’re aiming to improve security around your business premises, an intruder alarm system is essential. Installing an intruder alarm can provide the following 5 benefits:
- Protect your business from theft
- Deter vandals from entering your premises
- Provide peace of mind when you’re off-site
- Reduce insurance premiums
- Increase the chance of police apprehending criminals
1. Protect your business from theft
There is and always has been a big threat of burglary for those who own business premises. This is because the value of stock and equipment found in the average workplace makes them a prime target for thieves. In many business sectors, such as manufacturing, theft is the most common type of crime recorded. The question is – how do you protect your business from theft when you and your employees are not around?
The answer is an intruder alarm system. It’s a vital element that should be a priority for you and your business. Here’s why:
- The visible presence of commercial alarm systems deters trespassers. Therefore, you can stop theft before it happens by making it obvious your building is protected.
- If a criminal does break into your premises, motion sensors will detect intruders. An alarm will sound and those in the vicinity will be alerted.
- The more sophisticated business alarm systems can send a signal to a nominated person or initiate a police response. The thief’s window of opportunity is narrowed.
2. Deter vandals from entering your premises
Protecting your business from vandalism can be equally important to deterring thieves. Vandals may be intent on causing as much damage as possible to your building. Cracked windows and graffiti on walls is damaging enough but what happens if they manage to break in and enter your premises?
The destruction caused to your building, stock and equipment has the potential to:
- Bring your business to a grinding halt
- Delay orders and projects
- Sour relationships with affected customers
Installing an intruder alarm system is an effective way to improve security in your business. It will help to deter trespassers from entering your premises. In the event that they break in and enter, the system will detect them and sound an alarm.
3. Provide peace of mind when you’re off-site
Because most intruders strike in the middle of the night, it is in the early hours when your premises are most at risk. Not all businesses can afford a physical security presence around the clock but intruder alarms can still provide protection.
An alarm system can be configured to alert you in the event of a break-in so you’ll know if there is an intruder.
In the event of a break-in to your premises, our Alarm Receiving Centre is alerted. Upon confirming a signal we can then:
- Contact the nominated keyholder
- Issue an audio challenge/warning (speak directly through a tannoy system to warn the intruder to leave the premises)
- Initiate either a security guard or a police response to visit the site
This service can provide much-needed peace of mind for those with more alienated premises. For example, buildings on outlying business parks. It is in locations like this where alarms may not be heard and thieves have more time to operate.
4. Reduce insurance premiums
Installing an intruder alarm will improve security at your workplace by reducing the risk of an incident. As a result, you can often lower your annual insurance premium. Savings may be increased further still with the introduction of intruder alarm monitoring.
This adds an extra layer of security to your building because it ensures 100% that somebody (other than the intruder) is aware of the break-in.
The amount your business can save will depend on your provider. However, it is common that much of the cost of commercial security systems is offset by insurance premium savings.
Has your business had problems in the past with false alarms? By introducing an alarm monitoring service that confirms the signal, you could also make savings here.
5. Increase the chance of police apprehending criminals
There may be people nearby who will hear a criminal breaking in and notify the police. However, it is just as likely that an intruder can gain entry into your building undetected.
By fitting intruder alarms, you can alert everybody in the vicinity to an invader. This will greatly increase the chance that the police will arrive in time to apprehend the offender. As mentioned above, intruder alarm monitoring can increase this chance greater still. This is especially true for businesses with premises in more sparsely populated locations.
The presence of intruder alarms also lessens the chance that your staff will be put in a dangerous situation. Police officers have been trained to deal with dangerous criminals but your staff is unlikely to have such experience.
By installing an alarm, you can reduce the chance of personnel encountering a trespasser if they were to visit out of hours. Having your alarm monitored and opting for a police or guard response meanwhile would eliminate this risk entirely.